Wednesday, October 14, 2009

If You Don't Know Where You're Going, You'll Wind up Somewhere Else - A Tribute to Yogi Berra


Does anyone besides me love Yogi Berra? He is pictured here in his glory days, Roger Maris, Yogi, and Mickey Mantle. Although I never saw Maris or Berra, I did have the pleasure of meeting Mickey Mantle. I actually was allowed to put on one of his World Series rings on two of my fingers. However great an honor it was to meet the great Mickey Mantle, the king of philosophy in baseball was and always will be Yogi Berra. He is a great philosopher, really. You just have to give it a second look and it begins to make sense. He is a favorite and I truly appreciate and love this guy. Here are some famous Yogis.

"We make too many wrong mistakes"

"Slump? I ain't in no slump... I just ain't hitting"

"You can observe a lot by watching"

"It gets late early around here..."

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore"

"If I didn't wake up I'd still be sleeping"

"I usually take a two hour nap from 1 to 4"

"If you don't know where you're going, you'll wind up somewhere else"

"The future ain't what it used to be"

"If they don't want to come, you can't stop them"

"Always go to other people's funerals otherwise they won't go to yours"

"You have to give 100 percent in the first half of the game. If that isn't enough, in the second half, you have to give what is left."

"Never answer an anonymous letter"

"Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel!"

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental."


In Context...
When asked what makes a good manager of a baseball team, he said "A good ball club"

When asked what time it is, he said "What? You mean right now?"

When he was asked if first baseman Don Mattingly had exceeded expectations, Yogi said "I'd say he's done more than that!"

His wife Carmen asked where he would like to be buried, to the reply "Surprise me!"

He was told that he looked cool in his summer suit by the Mayor of New York's wife, and he said "You don't look so hot yourself"

At a dinner in an Italian restaurant, he was asked how many slices should be cut in his pizza, and he replied "You better make it four, I don't think I could eat eight"

Are you beginning to see where you are going, because you are there. I have learned from Berra, the philospher. Thanks Yogi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the brilliant minds and great philosophers of our time.

Wil Harrison.com

BUNS AND BARBS said...

Ain't it the truth? I get a kick out of Berra. I bought my son his book, "If You Come to a Fork in the Raod, Take It", for his upcoming birthday as well as other sports things. We need to work on something together. I have a great idea, the upcoming Bob Dylan Christmas Album. Look in email